Instant Pot Beef Stew (Whole30)
This Instant Pot Beef Stew is a delicious meal that can easily be made Whole30.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 6-7 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 10-15 small baby potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Cut the chuck roast into stew-sized chunks. Peel and cut the carrots into chunks. Dice the onion. Chop the baby potatoes into stew-sized chunks.
Turn on the Instant Pot into Saute mode. Add 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and let warm up. Add the beef chunks and cook until all sides are browned. Remove the beef and set aside.
Add the other 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the diced onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add ½ cup of beef stock to deglaze the pot, making sure to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the instant pot.
Add the rest of the beef stock (2 cups) and the tomato sauce to the pot. Stir to combine.
Add the beef, carrots, potatoes, salt, pepper, celery salt, and dried thyme to the pot. Stir to combine.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, make sure the lid is set to sealing, and set to MANUAL mode. Set the time for 35 minutes. Once Instant Pot is done, let sit for 10 minutes, then Quick Release the steam.
Combine the cornstarch or arrowroot with ½ cup water to make a slurry. Add to the stew and let sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken.
Chop the parsley. Plate the stew, then sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- If doing a Whole30, be sure to use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. You’ll also want to make sure to use compliant tomato sauce and beef stock.
- Do not skip the deglazing step! This is an important step to make sure there is nothing stuck to the bottom of your Instant Pot. (Otherwise you may get the burn warning).
- Once you start the MANUAL mode for 35 minutes, it will take 10 minutes or so for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Once it reaches pressure, then it will start counting down from the 35 minutes and start cooking.
- This recipe serves 4-5 no problem, but if you’d like to make it go a bit further and serve more people with smaller portions, you can pair it with a side of bread (if not doing a Whole30), or a side salad.