Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This Whole30 roasted pureed butternut squash soup is an easy and delicious meal. It's vegan, creamy, and a healthy, comforting, soup recipe. For a Whole30, top with bacon or chicken. For a vegan option, top with some roasted, crispy chickpeas.
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and seeded, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ white or yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp dried herbs de provence
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (Whole30-compliant)
- 2 cups water
- 2 slices thick bacon (optional) (Whole30-compliant)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel the butternut squash and scoop out the seeds. Cut butternut squash into one inch cubes. Toss squash in 2 Tbsp olive oil and place on baking sheet. Roast butternut squash cubes for 40 minutes.
Heat a stew pot over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add chicken stock and water to pot. Add roasted butternut squash. Add the herbs de provence, thyme, paprika, and heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
If using bacon (optional), cut bacon into small pieces. Cook in a small skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Once soup is done, either blend with an immersion blender or blend soup in batches in a regular blender. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve and top with bacon bits (optional), crispy chickpeas, or however you choose.
- If you want to use precut butternut squash instead of cutting one yourself, use about 2 lbs, or 3 cups diced squash.
- I like to use an ice cream scoop to help scoop the seeds out of a butternut squash. Works wonderfully!
- Blending the soup in batches works best, as it probably won't fit into your blender at once!
- Vent the blender (and the place a paper towel over the opening to keep any soup from flying out), so that steam can escape while you're blending the soup.