Air fryer delicata squash is a quick and easy side dish to make this fall or winter, and it comes out gorgeous! The squash gets roasted to perfection in the air fryer, and looks so fancy with its scalloped edges. This is a dish that is perfect for entertaining.
Give me all the winter squash this time of year. I love cooking it all. Butternut, delicata, acorn, etc. And my favorite way to have it is probably roasted. It's just so easy to do, and gets all caramelized and delicious.
While I usually roast in the oven, lately I've been doing it in my air fryer because it's quicker and easier!
What is delicata squash?
Delicata is a winter squash that is an oval shape. It also has scalloped edges that look beautiful when sliced.
The squash tastes similar to a butternut squash, and it does not need to be peeled! You can eat the peel and flesh, though the seeds are usually scooped out before cooking.
They can be found during the fall and winter months in most grocery stores.
It also makes for a great ingredient to use in a grain bowl, or serve alongside a salad. This is a great dish for holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving, because it just looks gorgeous with those scalloped edges!
- Toss with a smoked paprika seasoning for a smoky flavor.
- To brighten up the squash, squeeze a little lemon or lime juice over the squash after cooking.
- For a decadent dish, make a brown butter sage sauce, like in these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes with Sage Brown Butter.
How to make:
First, cut and slice your delicata squash. Chop off the very top and bottom of the squash and stand up to slice down the middle.
Next, scoop out the seeds with a spoon (or ice cream scoop), and then slice the squash into ½ inch pieces.
Add the squash to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, herbs, and salt. While you're doing this, preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes.
Arrange the squash into your air fryer. It's okay if some pieces are overlapping, but just make sure you have good airflow throughout.
Roast in your air fryer, tossing occasionally, until squash is cooked through, tender when pierced with a fork, and roasted to perfection.
Air Fryer Delicata Squash
- Air Fryer
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 380 degrees F.
- Take the squash and chop off the top and bottom. Stand the squash on one end, then slice down the middle. Scoop the seeds out of each half and discard. Slice the squash into ½ inch pieces.
- Add the squash to a large bowl with the olive oil, thyme, and salt. Toss to combine.
- Add the squash to your air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F for 14-16 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes. Remove when the squash is roasted and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- The squash I used was 1 pound, 3 ounces before slicing.
- You can easily use different spices. Check the blog post above for ideas.
- All air fryers cook differently. Start checking for doneness around the 12 minute mark.