This one-pot tomato and chickpea stew is easy to make and is a delicious and flavorful vegan stew. The tomatoes get blistered, and the chickpeas are a delicious addition to this perfectly flavored stew.
Anyone else tired of cooking? Long days, not much energy, don't want to do dishes?
When I feel that way, I like to whip up this tomato and chickpea stew. It only uses one pot. Yes, one. Which means easy to make and minimal dishes.
And this tomato and chickpea stew recipe is so easy to make. And flavorful! The trick is the perfect combination of spices. Dried thyme and smoked paprika give the stew such a nice flavor and really take it to the next level.
And even better? This recipe is vegan! The chickpeas help give it the nice protein that will keep you full for hours, while the tomatoes add that nice vegetable that adds a lot of flavor!
- If you don't want to use chickpeas, you can always use white beans instead! They are a delicious substitution.
- Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Serve the soup with fresh cilantro or parsley, and bread on the side if you want!
How to make the stew:
First, add a your olive oil to a large pot. Let heat up for 30 seconds over medium heat, then add your tomatoes.
Let cook and get blistered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until tomatoes are broken down.
Next, add your garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add your spices and drained chickpeas and stir to combine, then add the vegetable stock. Stir to combine, then heat to boiling.
Once stew starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Plate and enjoy! Top with cilantro and parsley if desired, a squeeze of lime, and/or crusty bread.
Other delicious tomato recipes:
- Peach and Tomato Panzanella
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Toasted Bread
- Tomato and Hummus Toast
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Pan Con Tomate - Spanish Tomato Bread
One Pot Tomato and Chickpea Stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- lime optional
- cilantro or parsley optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Let heat for 30 seconds, then add the cherry tomatoes to the pot. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until tomatoes are blistered and starting to break apart.
- Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Drain the garbanzo beans and add the beans to the pot. Add the thyme, onion powder, smoked paprika, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir. Heat to boiling, then turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the soup between two bowls. Top with fresh parsley or fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
- Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing! You might find them at the store under either name.