This recipe for blistered shishito peppers is a quick and easy appetizer or snack. The shishito peppers are mild, except for the random surprise pepper that has a kick!
I think the first time I tried shishito peppers were at a restaurant. I can't remember which one, but I was blown away. Peppers that aren't really spicy? Peppers that are charred but retain such a fantastic flavor? Sign me up to eat these everyday. These peppers typically come from Japan, but thank goodness they've made their way across the globe.
I looked for them at the store. I think I found them at Whole Foods once, but never saw them again. Then one day, I saw them at Trader Joe's. They don't always have them, but if you pop in at the right time of the year, you're able to pick up a nice bag (or five) of these.
You can eat them raw, but I prefer them blistered and cooked to perfection.
I made these for Josh one afternoon for us to snack on and he kept talking about how perfect they were. And to totally brag on myself.. they kinda were perfect. And I'm here to share the recipe with you!
They are so easy to make, and so flavorful. The key to this recipe is to use sesame oil. It imparts such a unique flavor that adds to the tastiness of the peppers.
- Shishito peppers - The key ingredient! Shishito peppers are mostly mild peppers. However, about 1 in 10 or so is spicy! That makes eating them a fun adventure.
- Sesame oil - Sesame oil has a slightly nutty taste, which is why I love using it here! It has such a unique flavor that pairs nicely with the shishito peppers.
- Salt - A sprinkling of salt enhances all the flavors.
How to make the blistered shishito peppers:
Making these shishito peppers is easy! In a wok, cast iron pan, or large frying pan, heat up the sesame oil and then add the shishito peppers. Stir frequently until peppers are blistered (about 10-15 minutes). Plate, then sprinkle liberally with salt and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious appetizers? Check these out!
Blistered Shishito Peppers
- 6 oz shishito peppers
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shishito peppers to the wok and reduce heat to medium.
- Sear the peppers, stirring frequently until peppers are soft and blistered, about 10-15 minutes.
- Plate, sprinkle liberally with salt.