Coconut Lime French Toast is a delicious way to bring those summer flavors to brunch or breakfast. This French toast is easy to make on a weekday or for weekend brunch at home and is topped with bright summer berries.
This breakfast gets its brightness from fresh lime zest and juice and the fresh berries. It's a delicious but decadent brunch dish that is restaurant-worthy, but easy to make at home.
French toast MIGHT be my favorite way to use up bread. It's just so custardy and delicious. I love making it for breakfast or a weekend brunch. I love love our bananas foster french toast, but when I'm looking for something a little fresher and brighter (and less sugary for the kids), I opt for this coconut lime french toast with fresh berries.
This French toast is perfect for those summer months when fresh berries are inexpensive and available everywhere. And my kids LOVE berries. And so do I.
And even better is that this recipe is so easy to make. A MUST when your kids are hungry, you're hungry (or HANGRY), or you just want a low-effort, easy meal.
And you only need a few ingredients to make this! Here are the key ingredients you need.
- Brioche bread - I love a thick sliced bread for this. I use brioche usually, but you can also use Texas toast or thick slices of whatever bread you have. If you have a sourdough loaf, slice it up! If you have a baguette, slice that up, though you'll probably triple the number of slices you use.
- Coconut milk - Use the cans of coconut, NOT what you would get in the carton to drink.
- Fresh limes - This recipe calls for lime zest. Not sure how to zest a lime? It's the outside, dark green portion of the lime (not the white part, which is bitter). I use a microplane like this to zest my limes.
- Fresh berries
How to make:
This easy recipe is quick to whip up. First, take the coconut milk and shake it a bunch to make sure everything is mixed together. Next, combine the coconut milk, eggs, and lime zest (of one lime) in a bowl or casserole dish and whisk to combine together.
A bowl works better for whisking, but if you're trying to use less dishes, you can do it in the casserole dish.
Heat olive oil or butter in a skillet, and then dip each piece of french toast in the egg/milk mixture on both sides, then place in the skillet.
Cook until golden brown on both sides (flipping as needed). Take your berries and squeeze the juice from one lime over the top. Plate the french toast, topping with the berries and zest from another lime.
Make it your own!
Not a fan of these berries? Not a fan of lemon zest? Want to make it your own? Here are some ideas!
- Ditch the berries and lime and instead serve with sliced peaches and top with some fresh basil and mint.
- Swap out the lime for lemon and just top with strawberries or raspberries.
- Use whatever fruit you love!
- Top with sliced apples and cinnamon instead of berries and lime.
- Drizzle the French toast with Nutella and powdered sugar.
Can you freeze the French toast?
Yes you can! After cooking, you can freeze the French toast. To reheat, just warm in a skillet, oven toaster, or air fryer until cooked through (if you want a more slightly crisp version), or even in the microwave (for a soft version).
Other breakfast recipes:
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Sticks
- Lemon Dutch Baby Pancake
- Bananas Foster French Toast
- Air Fryer Caramelized Bananas
Coconut Lime French Toast
- 13.5 oz coconut milk in a can
- 2 eggs
- 2 limes
- 8 slices brioche or thick bread
- olive oil or butter
- 2 cups berries
- Take the can of coconut milk and shake to make sure the solids and milk are combined. Empty the can of coconut milk into a casserole dish or a bowl. Add the two eggs and zest of one lime. Stir or whisk to combine. If mixed in a bowl, add to a casserole dish.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat until hot. Add 1 Tbsp oil or butter to the skillet, swirling until bottom is coated.
- Dip one piece bread into the egg/milk mixture, coating both sides. Add to the pan. Cook, flipping once, about 2-3 minutes per side until nicely golden. Remove from skillet and repeat process with rest of the bread.
- Take your berries and prepare (washing, slicing any fruit as needed). Add juice from the zested lime and stir to combine.
- Plate the French toast and top with the berries. Top with additional lime zest from remaining lime and enjoy.