Air Fryer Caramelized Bananas are gooey and delicious and just like a creme brulee banana! They cook up easily in the air fryer and are even better topped with ice cream or whipped cream and some chopped nuts.
These air fryer bananas are delicious served as a dessert or for breakfast alongside some pancakes or eggs. They're delicious any time of the year and are a tasty and sweet treat that cook up in less than 10 minutes!
I hope you enjoy these air fryer bananas as much as I do. We buy a bunch of bananas every time we visit the store because our son loves them. But sometimes I can sneak a few myself to make a delicious dessert like this.
I've made these caramelized bananas a few times in my air fryer the last few weeks and OMG. The flavor. The creaminess of the bananas. The perfection at being paired with vanilla ice cream. And how EASY it is to make! This is a dangerously delicious dessert.
What type of air fryer to use:
For this banana recipe, I recommend using a large air fryer if you want to keep the bananas whole. I used a Cosori Max XL Air Fryer with no issue. It's my go-to. And my bananas were on the larger side.
If you have a smaller air fryer and the bananas aren't fitting, you probably want to slice the bananas in half so that you can line them up so that they fit when cooking. My mom has a smaller air fryer, so that is what I would recommend she do if she makes this recipe.
Also, this recipe does not require preheating your air fryer.
Should you use ripe bananas?
You can, but this recipe actually works best with yellow bananas that are still kinda firm. They are easier to slice down the middle, and still get all caramelized and creamy. I would definitely not recommend using bananas that are green or too ripe. Stick with yellow if you can.
How to make:
First gather your ingredients! All you need are some brown sugar, cinnamon, and a banana.
Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar into a small bowl until combined.
Take your banana and slice in half, length-wise, as shown below. It helps to use a big sharp knife for this!
Line your air fryer basket with a little parchment (this helps keep it cleaner), and place your banana into the basket, cut side up. Sprinkle your brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over the top. You may have extra.
Place in the air fryer and cook on 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes until caramelized and delicious.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and chopped pecans. Scoop the banana out of the peel when eating, and then discard the peel.
- Use a yellow banana, if possible, before it becomes too ripe.
- Use parchment paper in your air fryer to help keep your air fryer clean.
- Start checking for doneness around the 7 minute mark. If needed, keep cooking your banana for a few more minutes.
- Serve immediately with a spoon and ice cream or whipped cream. However, if you don't want your ice cream to melt as quickly, let the banana cool on a plate for 3-4 minutes before topping with ice cream.
- This recipe is easy to double, triple, or quadruple depending on how many servings you need!
Can you freeze/refrigerate these?
I unfortunately would not recommend freezing or refrigerating these. The banana would not hold up properly in the refrigerator or freezer after cooking. I recommend making these fresh.
- For a version of a banana split, top with a couple of scoops of ice cream, some whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry!
- The caramelized banana is delicious topped with vanilla ice cream. You can also top with whatever flavor ice cream you love, or even some cinnamon whipped cream or vanilla whipped cream.
- I topped my banana with chopped pecans. Walnuts or hazelnuts would also work well, or leave off the nuts if you're allergic or just prefer it without.
This recipe was inspired by Okonomi Kitchen. Her caramelized bananas look so delicious too! Her photos are what inspired my photos. Go check out her blog, everything looks amazing!
Air Fryer Caramelized Bananas
- Air Fryer
- 1 banana
- 1.5 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Take the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix it together in a small bowl.
- Take your banana and slice it in half, length-wise (down the long part, so you have two slices of a long banana).
- Line your air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Place the banana slices inside, face up. Top each banana slice with the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture, spreading over the banana evenly. (You may have extra).
- Cook the banana in your air fryer at 400 degrees F for 7-10 minutes until soft and caramelized.
- Carefully lift the banana slices out of the air fryer onto a plate. Top as desired. (I love vanilla bean ice cream and chopped pecans on mine!)