So let’s talk about these gooey confetti cake bars. I first made these for a family Thanksgiving last year. They seemed to be a hit, and were so easy to make. Then, a couple of months ago, I had a potluck work event coming up. Being the tired pregnant lady that I am, I wanted to make something I knew was good, but didn’t require much effort.
So I made these cake bars a second time. Coworkers kept telling me how tasty they were, and they disappeared rather quickly.
A few weeks ago, I attended a family reunion. The main meal is always catered (chicken fried steak, cause Texas), but everyone brings desserts. So I made these AGAIN.
They really are just so gooey and sweet and delicious. I always do cut them pretty small, because they are so sweet and rich. And that means that people can go back for seconds… or thirds… or fourths. And they are fun! I like to do a mix of sprinkles, but if you’re doing something with a color theme, you can use whatever color of sprinkles fits! (Pink for a baby girl shower, orange and green for Halloween, or red, white, and blue for Independence Day).
One of the keys to success is to let them set and cool before cutting! I like to cool them overnight for this reason. If you try to cut them too early, they WILL fall apart on you. You’ve been warned. Learn from my mistakes!
The following recipe is adapted from Can’t Stay out of the Kitchen.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles + 1 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8½" x 11" or 8" x 12" baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and ½ cup of sprinkles.
- Add the oil and egg and stir to combine. Then add the white chocolate chips, cream, and vanilla, and stir until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Spread into the pre-greased baking dish and level out with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the top with the additional 1 Tbsp of sprinkles.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely (possibly overnight), then cut into small squares.