These creamy mashed chipotle sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish! They marry the delicious flavor of sweet potatoes with a slight smoky kick from chipotle.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. Not only are they beautiful with their orange color, but the flavor is fantastic, and they are healthy! What more could you want?
I love sweet potatoes in so many ways. Sweet potato breakfast bowl. Air fryer sweet potatoes with a decadent brown butter sauce. Stuffed sweet potato skins. And now, chipotle mashed sweet potatoes that have a bit of a kick.
- Sweet potatoes
- Heavy cream or milk
- Chipotle chili powder
- Salt and pepper
What to serve with the sweet potatoes?
I admit to eating a big bowl of these chipotle sweet potatoes on their own. But... they are fantastic as a side dish served alongside other delicious food like:
- Green goddess chicken bites
- Air fryer Greek chicken thighs
- Air fryer honey dijon salmon
- Meatballs (especially IKEA meatballs!)
Can you reheat the sweet potatoes?
Yes! If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. To reheat, you can microwave, but I have found the best way is to add them to a pot on medium-low heat with a bit of vegetable (or chicken) stock and stir frequently until hot and heated through.
One thing to note is that the chipotle flavor does intensify over time! So the leftovers may taste spicier than they did the day you originally cooked them. To tone down the heat level with leftovers, you can add some more cream to mellow out the flavor of the chipotle.
How to make:
Take your sweet potatoes and peel them.
Dice them into 1 inch cubes and place in a large pot of cold water. Ad ½ teaspoon salt to the water and heat to boiling.
Once potatoes are boiling, cook for 11-14 minutes on a low boil until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain the water from the pot.
Add the butter, heavy cream (or milk), and chipotle powder and mash together with a potato masher.
If needed, add an extra splash of cream. Season the chipotle sweet potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
Mashed Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes medium
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Add to a large pot and add enough cold water to cover the potatoes along with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Heat the water to boiling, then cook for 11-14 minutes on a low boil until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, then add the butter, cream, and chipotle chili powder to the potatoes. Mash together until potatoes are mashed to preferred consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use heavy cream or milk in this recipe.
- If you are sensitive to spice, you might start with ¼ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder and taste before adding the other ¼.
- I like to top my sweet potatoes with a little extra butter and some chives. You can also top with fresh parsley, rosemary, or other herbs.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.
Leave a Reply