This easy vegan chickpea tortilla soup recipe is flavorful and so quick to make! Chickpeas, tomatoes and beans are cooked up in a flavorful soup and topped with crunchy tortilla chips.
Have you already discovered the magic of tortilla soup? The hearty, flavorful soup. The tomato and cumin flavors. The crunchy tortilla chips on top?
We've been making this vegan chickpea tortilla soup around here these days. It's a soup that's perfect any time of year, and takes no time to make. Perfect for those days when you don't feel like cooking. This is one of those soups where you pretty much dump in a few spices, a few cans of ingredients, and then just let simmer until you're ready to serve. So easy.
In our version, we use black beans and chickpeas, but you can just use black beans (or chickpeas) if you prefer. However, I love the mix of beans!
This is a protein-rich vegan soup that will leave you full for hours! The beans add a perfect protein, while the tomatoes and spices add a richness of flavor.
Spices you need:
- Chili powder
- Chipotle chile powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Crushed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Garbanzo beans
- Vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- Tortilla chips
While the tortilla soup is delicious, you may want to top with other things than crushed tortilla chips. Here are some suggestions.
- Lime juice - squeeze fresh lime juice over the top!
- Cilantro - If you're a cilantro lover, then some fresh cilantro is delicious on this soup
- Avocado - Some diced avocado adds a nice texture and healthy fat to the soup
- Cheese - Use a vegan cheese if you're vegan, or a regular cheese if you're going for a vegetarian version of this tortilla soup. Either way, this is completely optional! Sometimes I like cheese on my tortilla soup, and sometimes I don't.
How to make the vegan tortilla soup:
This tortilla soup is so easy to make. First, just dice up your onion.
Then, add your olive oil to a big stew pot, and then add your onion. Saute until your onion is cooked through and translucent. Add your spices, mix around for a minute, then add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and beans. Add the salt and pepper. Stir everything together.
Simmer on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Plate, and top with broken up tortilla chips (and anything else)!
Other soup recipes to love:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup
- Chicken Zoodle Soup
- Lemon Orzo Soup with Shrimp
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- corn tortilla chips
- In a stew pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and saute 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, chipotle chili powder), and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, black beans, chickpeas, and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Add the salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Plate, then top with crushed tortilla chips and any additional garnishes.