Baked cod with tomatoes is an easy one-pan Whole30 dish that is flavorful and delicious. The tomatoes get perfectly blistered and pair beautifully with the flaky cod.
I am always on the hunt for quick, healthy recipes like this baked cod with tomatoes and basil.
This delicious baked cod fits the bill. And even better? It's all cooked in one skillet, which makes clean up so easy.
I love that this cod is Whole30 and Paleo-friendly too. If you've done a Whole30, you know how exhausting it can be to cook every night. This is one of those easy Whole30 meals that takes very little prep and very little cleanup.
I love how the tomatoes get all roasted in the oven, and when you cut into them, they just burst with flavor. Then I gather up some basil leaves, some of that juicy tomato, and a piece of cod and eat it all together. A healthy flavor explosion.
- Cod filets
- Tomatoes (campari, roma, cherry)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
What kind of tomatoes to use
For this dish, I used campari tomatoes, but you can use whatever kind you want. If you want to use cherry tomatoes, those would work great. Roma tomatoes could also work well.
Note that the basil does kinda get a bit weird colored when you throw it on something hot. So you may notice it getting a bit brown where it touches the hot food. Don't worry, that's completely normal.
If you want some additional flavor and to spice it up a bit, you can add some Italian seasoning, dried oregano, or even some smoked paprika on there before placing in the oven.
If you're not doing a Whole30, and want something a bit more hearty, you can always pair it with a rice, orzo, or quinoa.
How to make the baked cod with tomatoes
Take a large skillet and add olive oil. Place the cod and tomatoes in the pan. drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Bake it all up, then toss fresh basil leaves on there. SO easy.
More cod recipes
Baked Cod with Tomatoes and Basil
- 2 8 oz cod filets
- 12 campari roma, or other medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-15 medium to small basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the bottom and swirl around until covered.
- Add the cod to the pan, and then add the tomatoes.
- Pour the remaining 3 tablespoon olive oil over the cod and the tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Plate, top with the basil leaves, and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.