Happy first day of March! We’re excited to head into the second month of posts here at Food Banjo. Up today… this delicious and crunchy panko crusted cod recipe.
Breaded and fried. That is how I used to like my fish when I was younger. Now I like to think my tastes have evolved and I love seafood in a variety of ways, but this panko crusted cod takes me back to that flaky white fish with a crunchy coating that I used to love. Luckily, because this is baked, I like to pretend it is a lot healthier, and hopefully it is!
Fresh fish is great, but for convenience, I tend to keep fish in the freezer, that way it’s easy to take it out and thaw. Also, use fresh lemon and get yourself a zester if you don’t already have one. It is such a great kitchen tool! What I also love about this recipe is it’s quick to prep, and then cook in the oven, so it’s perfect for an easy dinner paired with a side of veggies.
Panko Crusted Cod
- 2 medium cod filets fresh or defrosted
- 1 lemon for zesting and slicing
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp pepper plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil for panko mixture
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Zest lemon to get 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- In medium bowl, combine lemon zest with panko, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper
- Stir together and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine dijon mustard and maple syrup. Mix until combined.
- Oil an ovenproof skillet and wipe out any excess.
- Take fish filets and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cover the top of the fish with the maple syrup and mustard mixture.
- Press the panko mixture onto the top of the fish so that as much sticks as possible.
- Carefully place the fish in the skillet and cook in the oven for 12 minutes.
- While fish is cooking, slide the lemon to place atop the fish.
- After the 12 minutes, turn the oven to broil, and broil until the panko is nicely browned.
- Remove, let fish rest for 2-3 minutes, season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, plate with lemon slides and enjoy!