The gin sour is one of the easiest cocktails to make and only requires three ingredients! It's a wonderful balance of gin, sweet, and sour.
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Recently we started making gin sours. It's a delicious and easy cocktail. It's got the personality of gin, the sweetness, and also tartness. It's kinda the perfect cocktail when you want something slightly sweet, slightly sour, and slightly alcoholic.
What is a gin sour?
A gin sour gets it's name from the lemon juice that provides the sour component. And the gin, of course. The simple syrup is added to provide a bit of sweetness to the cocktail that perfectly balances out the sourness of the lemon!
Lucky for all of us, this cocktail only requires 3 ingredients.
- Gin - Use your favorite!
- Simple Syrup - Not sure where to get simple syrup? PLEASE don't spend money on it at the grocery store. It's so easy to make. Check out our recipe here for homemade simple syrup.
- Lemon juice - Freshly squeezed! Get yourself some lemons, and a juicer (like this one from Amazon), and enjoy!
Don't some recipes for a gin sour call for egg white?
Yes, they sure do. The egg white provides a bit of foaminess to the gin sour. However, we like ours without. And honestly? We like to save our eggs for cooking, not for drinking. However, if you want, you can add an egg white to the cocktail shaker to add that foaminess.
- Cocktail shaker and strainer
- Citrus juicer - we love this one!
- Jigger (for measuring ingredients)
- Peeler (for creating lemon zest) - this is the one we have, and love it!
What type of gin to use?
In a gin sour, we like a gin with a little personality.
There are some cocktails where we appreciate the subtle gin flavors some brands have. But in a gin sour, the gin really shines, and we love gins that have a slight juniper or other flavors. Ultimately though, use a gin you love.
How to make:
This is one of those easy cocktail recipes. Simply add the gin, simple syrup, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker and shake until cold!
Then strain into a cocktail glass and garnish! We like to use martini glasses for these and garnish with lemon peel and luxardo cherries.
Gin Sour Cocktail
- 2 oz gin
- ¾ oz simple syrup
- ¾ oz lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Add the gin, simple syrup, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker, then shake until drink is cold (about 15-20 seconds).
- Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with lemon zest and luxardo cherry if desired.