The Hemingway grapefruit cocktail is a delicious sweet cocktail that uses Deep Eddy Grapefruit Vodka to make for an easy and tasty drink!
I don’t know ‘bout y’all…but we’re having some nice warm weather this winter…and it’s looking to stay. I can’t speak for the Groundhog, but when I woke up today, I saw my citrus squeezer doohickey and cocktail shaker and knew it was time to break out the fun.
We live in the town of twelve dollar cocktails, so justifying an afternoon of drinking means looking for good happy hour specials (of course). If we’re lucky we’ll find a cocktail or two that we can perfect at home which can help extend an afternoon of drinking well into the evening…of the next day…for the same price.
Which is how we found ourselves at Perla’s in Austin drinking an off-the-menu grapefruit vodka cocktail called the Hemingway.* It’s a juicy pink concoction that’s made aromatic by a squeeze of lime, and a hint of bitterness from the unmistakable addition of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur (a must have for any home bar; we use it mostly for Aviations and Last Words).
The Hemingway cocktail is a fresh, juicy cocktail that can be dangerous because it is soooooo goooood. If you’re having these at a friend’s house be sure to hide the car keys and bring your pajamas.
*I know what you’re thinking, “Didn’t Ernest Hemingway invent the daiquiri which is rum based? How do you even spell daiquiri?” Excellent questions. Firstly, Ernie Hems (to his frenemies) didn’t invent the daiquiri but probably drank enough of them to believe he did. And secondly, who really knows how these drinks are named anyway, it might be named after my friend from high school, Mike Hemingway. Hi Mike!
Either way, whip yourselves up one of these vodka grapefruit Hemingway cocktails and thank us later.
Ingredients for this grapefruit cocktail:
- Deep Eddy Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka – this is the secret of the recipe! If you haven’t had Deep Eddy Grapefruit Vodka, it’s perfect paired with just some fizzy soda, but in this cocktail, it really shines as the star. It brings together the alcohol and grapefruit flavor all in one.
- Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur – This is the ingredient that brings in a bit of depth to the cocktail. If you don’t have a bottle of Maraschino at your house, pick one up! It’s so delicious in a lot of cocktail recipes, like the aviation cocktail!
- Simple syrup – Simple syrup is really just sugar dissolved in water, and it’s so easy to make. We try to keep a jar in our fridge at all times! Scroll to the bottom of the recipe and it will tell you how to make it!
- Lime – The lime brings a bit of tart acidity to the cocktail.
This is one of the simple recipes. Just add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake with some ice! Strain into a glass (we usually use a martini glass), garnish with a grapefruit slice, cherry, or lime wedge, and enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by a delicious cocktail at Perla’s in Austin.
Hemingway Grapefruit Cocktail
- 3 oz Grapefruit Vodka we use locally made Deep Eddy
- ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- ½ oz Simple Syrup
- Juice of ½ Lime
- Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker, add ice and, as the name implies, shake vigorously.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.