The Hemingway grapefruit martini is a delicious pink cocktail made with vodka. This recipe uses Deep Eddy Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka to make for an easy and tasty drink!
We live in the town of twelve dollar cocktails, so justifying an afternoon of drinking means looking for good happy hour specials. If we’re lucky, we’ll find a cocktail or two that we can perfect at home.
Which is how we found ourselves at Perla’s in Austin drinking an off-the-menu pink grapefruit vodka martini called the Hemingway.*
It’s a juicy pink concoction that’s made aromatic by a squeeze of lime, and a hint of bitterness from the unmistakable addition of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur (a must have for any home bar; we use it mostly for Aviations and Last Words).
The Hemingway grapefruit cocktail is a fresh, juicy cocktail that can be dangerous because it is soooooo goooood. If you’re having these at a friend’s house be sure to hide the car keys and bring your pajamas.
Why is it called the Hemingway?
*I know what you’re thinking, “Didn’t Ernest Hemingway invent the daiquiri which is rum based? How do you even spell daiquiri?”
Excellent questions. Firstly, Ernie Hems (to his frenemies) didn’t invent the daiquiri but probably drank enough of them to believe he did.
And secondly, who really knows how these drinks are named anyway, it might be named after my friend from high school, Mike Hemingway. Hi Mike!
Either way, whip yourselves up one of these grapefruit vodka Hemingway cocktails and thank us later.
Ingredients for this grapefruit cocktail
- Deep Eddy Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka - this is the secret of the recipe! If you haven't had Deep Eddy Grapefruit Vodka, it's perfect paired with just some fizzy soda, but in this cocktail, it really shines as the star. It brings together the alcohol and ruby red grapefruit flavor all in one.
- Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur - This is the ingredient that brings in a bit of depth to the cocktail. If you don't have a bottle of Maraschino at your house, pick one up! It's so delicious in a lot of cocktail recipes, like the aviation cocktail!
- Simple syrup - Simple syrup is really just sugar dissolved in water, and it's so easy to make. We try to keep a jar in our fridge at all time! Learn how to make it here.
- Lime - The lime brings a bit of tart acidity to the cocktail.
Watch us make the Hemingway martini with Deep Eddy Vodka!
How to make a Hemingway Martini
This is a simple cocktail recipe. First, make sure you have your simple syrup made and ready to go!
Next, get any garnishes ready.
Just add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake with some ice!
Strain into a glass (we usually use a martini glass), garnish with a grapefruit slice, cherry, or lime wedge, and enjoy!
More cocktail recipes to love
- Meyer Lemon Drop Cocktail
- Dirty Martini
- Watermelon Martini
- Texas Ranch Water Cocktail
- Austrian Hugo Spritz
- Italian Margarita
This recipe was inspired by a delicious cocktail at Perla's in Austin.
Hemingway Grapefruit Martini
- 3 oz Grapefruit Vodka we use locally made Deep Eddy
- ½ oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- ½ oz Simple Syrup
- Juice of ½ Lime
- Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker, add ice and, as the name implies, shake vigorously.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.