This root beer float is creamy, delicious, and topped with homemade whipped cream and sprinkles to take it to the next level. It's a perfect throwback treat that always satisfies a sweet tooth.
I've always been a fan of root beer. And ice cream. So OF COURSE I love root beer floats. Though I hadn't had one in years. Fast forward to spending a weekend at my mom's house and having root beer floats there.
And they were SO good. Just what I remembered. I love how the root beer kinda creates an ice layer on the outside of the ice cream, to create this brand new texture that is perfection.
And as the ice cream melts, it gives a creamy flavor to the root beer. And you alternate between eating it with a spoon and enjoying sipping on it through a straw.
Such an easy dessert, but so delicious.
It really only requires two ingredients. The best kind of dessert. I topped mine with fresh whipped cream and sprinkles. Keep scrolling for more topping ideas, or keep it simple and just use root beer and ice cream.
- Root beer
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whatever you want to use for toppings
What type of root beer to use in a root beer float
I love to use a root beer that has a strong flavor. That way it pairs nicely with the ice cream and doesn't get lost. My other main requirement is to use a root beer that uses cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. As always though, use what you love! If you love a root beer that has high fructose corn syrup, go for it.
How to top a root beer float
In the photos, I topped mine with some freshly made whipped cream (flavored with vanilla extract) and some sprinkles. Here are some more ideas!
- Whipped cream - I think vanilla whipped cream works best. Find our recipe for whipped cream here.
- Sprinkles - pretty colors, or chocolate sprinkles
- A cherry - Just like an ice cream float, a cherry works great on a root beer float
How to make it
First, add the scoops of ice cream to a tall glass.
Next, add the root beer. Add, wait for the foam to subside, then add more, until your glass is full.
Top with freshly made whipped cream and sprinkles (and maybe a cherry), then add a straw and spoon and enjoy! As you eat, add more root beer as needed.
Root Beer Float
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 can or bottle root beer
- Into a tall glass, add 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- Pour root beer into the glass and wait for the foam to subside. Pour more root beer in, until glass is almost full.
- Add any toppings! We topped with whipped cream and sprinkles. Serve with a straw and a spoon.
- As you eat/drink the root beer float, add more root beer to the glass.