This creamy coffee milkshake is just the jolt of caffeine you need in milkshake form. It’s a dessert that rivals any chocolate milkshake out there.
Ahhh…the coffee shake: milky ice cream deliciousness combined with the thunderous jolt of the gods. It reminds me of how yummy beverages with medicinal benefits were common, like when the OG Coca-Cola contained cocaine. The coffee milkshake is a delightful treat carrying a much needed kick of caffeine.
There are several options for making this coffee milkshake recipe. Choose the one that works best for you! This recipe used “espresso” from an AeroPress, but you can use strong coffee (double the coffee to water ratio) as well. For a quicker, easier version you can replace the espresso with 2 tablespoons of powdered Instant Espresso (found in the coffee aisle); it’s a tad bitter but super easy.
We also found French vanilla ice cream to be denser than regular vanilla ice cream and made for a thicker shake, especially useful if you are following the liquid espresso recipe. A thicker coffee milkshake means richer, creamier, and more decadent. Just how we like it!
So grab your blender and enjoy this delicious, creamy coffee milkshake!
Ingredients to make the coffee milkshake:
- Finely ground espresso – You’ll use finely ground coffee to make espresso for this coffee shake. Alternately, you could use Instant Espresso powder instead.
- Hot water – Hot water is needed to make the espresso. If you’re using the Espresso powder, then you won’t use the hot water.
- Ice cream – We love French vanilla ice cream, but you can use regular vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream if you prefer.
- Optional ingredients: whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, crushed oreos
How to make the coffee milkshake:
Making the milkshake is so easy. You’ll make the espresso coffee and then chill in the refrigerator (or freezer for quick cooling)! Next, you’ll add the ice cream and espresso to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into mugs or glasses and top as you desire. We love topping with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles!
- 4 tbsp Fine Ground Espresso
- ¾ cup hot, but not boiling water
- 15 oz French vanilla ice cream (about 5 scoops)
- Make coffee in an espresso maker or AeroPress and chill in the freezer until cold (about 10 minutes).
- Combine espresso and ice cream in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream, sprinkles, crushed cookies, brownie pieces or anything else your soon-to-be caffeinated heart desired.
Love this coffee milkshake? Check out these recipes: