Ahhh…the coffee shake: milky ice cream deliciousness combined with the thunderous jolt of the gods. It reminds me of how yummy beverages with medicinal benefits were common, like when the OG Coca-Cola contained cocaine. The coffee shake is a delightful treat carrying a much needed kick of caffeine.
This recipe used “espresso” from an AeroPress, but you can use strong coffee (double the coffee to water ratio) as well. For a quicker, easier version you can replace the espresso with 2 tablespoons of powdered Instant Espresso (found in the coffee aisle); it’s a tad bitter but super easy.
We also found French vanilla ice cream to be denser than regular vanilla ice cream and made for a thicker shake, especially useful if you are following the liquid espresso recipe.
So grab your blender and enjoy this delicious, creamy coffee shake!
Happy Happy Coffee Shake
- 4 tbsp Fine Ground Espresso
- ¾ cup hot not boiling water
- 15 oz French vanilla ice cream about 5 scoops
- Make coffee in an espresso maker or AeroPress and chill in the freezer until cold (about 10 minutes).
- Combine espresso and ice cream in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream, sprinkles, crushed cookies, brownie pieces or anything else your soon-to-be caffeinated heart desired.