This pineapple upside down smoothie is so delicious! It's a pineapple banana smoothie that is topped with greek yogurt and a cherry. It's a delicious smoothie recipe inspired by pineapple upside down cake.
I've been making so many smoothies around here, and this pineapple banana smoothie has quickly become one of my favorites. It's made with frozen pineapple and tastes like summer!
Even better? I've been topping it with a dollop of greek yogurt and a cherry for maximum "treat yourself" vibes. This is a smoothie that tastes like dessert, but you can easily make healthy with add-ins too! And it has zero added sugar -- all the sweetness comes from the pineapple and the banana. (Ooops.. and the cherry, if you add a cherry on top).
This pineapple upside down smoothie recipe only requires a few ingredients. After that, it's up to you!
- Frozen pineapple - You can absolutely use fresh pineapple if you have it! I tend to keep a bag of frozen pineapple in the freezer.
- Banana - I use half a banana in this recipe. You can use fresh or frozen banana.
- Almond milk - I typically use vanilla almond milk in my smoothies, but you can use oat milk or soy milk. If you're using plain oat milk, almond milk, or soy milk, add ½ tsp of vanilla extract.
- Greek yogurt - I typically top this smoothie with a dollop of greek yogurt, because then the cherry sits so nicely on top! It's all about the presentation, right? If you don't have it, you can leave it off, and just enjoy a delicious pineapple and banana smoothie.
- Maraschino cherry - Again, this is for presentation purposes and to make it like a pineapple upside down cake. If you don't want, leave this out, and just enjoy the smoothie!
Add-ins and variations
- I love adding a spoonful of ground flaxseeds into every smoothie I make! You can't really taste them, and they add a health benefit! If you get ground flaxseeds, I recommend storing them in the fridge. Whole flaxseeds can typically be stored in the pantry.
- Alternately, you can add chia seeds or hemp seeds to smoothies. I do find that hemp seeds can alter the taste of smoothies, so I typically stick to flaxseeds.
- Mango would make a delicious addition to this smoothie! If you're adding mango, then do half mango half pineapple. If you want to keep the same amount of pineapple and just add mango, you may need to add more liquid to the smoothie so it's not too thick.
- Spinach is always one of my favorite smoothie add-ins and a delicious way to get more veggies in! However, if you add spinach to this smoothie, it will definitely alter the look of it! I recommend taking a look at my Tropical Green Smoothie recipe that has both spinach and pineapple!
How to make:
This pineapple smoothie recipe is so easy to make! Simply place all the ingredients in the blender, and blend until combined.
If you can't easily get everything to blend together, just add a bit more liquid until it can blend together.
Pineapple Upside Down Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- ½ banana
- ½ cup almond milk vanilla
- greek yogurt optional
- maraschino cherry optional
- Add the pineapple, banana, and almond milk to the blender.
- Blend until smooth. Divide between 2 small glasses, then top each with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a cherry.