While I love traveling to other cities when I get time off and exploring new places, sometimes that just isn't in the cards. So instead, this past week I took a staycation. It was everything I dreamed it could be. It's so nice to take time to enjoy your city and to also just relax.
I spent a lot of my time just reading books at my house. I enjoyed this slightly cooler weather. (Hello 80-degree temps)! I visited a new-to-me coffee shop and enjoyed a delicious chai. I went on a few long dogwalks. I drank wine. I went to IKEA on a weekday to avoid the crowds. I made a brief trip to my hometown. I finally experienced the best BBQ.
And now I feel refreshed.
We also worked on some new recipes for the blog. This is one I've been wanting to do for awhile. I love tomatoes and basil together, and it just seemed right to serve them over polenta topped by a fried egg with a creamy yolk. Yum.
Cheesy Polenta with Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup dry polenta or cornmeal
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 roma or campari tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. One boiling, whisk in the polenta and turn to low heat. Continually stir polenta for 25-30 minutes until thick (a spoon can almost stand up without being held).
- Once polenta is done, add the butter and cheeses and stir to combine.
- While polenta is cooking, add heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook until softened and blistered.
- Into another skillet, add another Tbsp oil and heat over medium-high heat. Crack two eggs into the skillet and fry until done. (Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do one at a time).
- Divide polenta between two bowls. Add three tomatoes to each bowl and one fried egg. Top with basil, salt and pepper.