This recipe for homemade migas breakfast tacos is so easy to make! Migas breakfast tacos are tortillas filled with eggs, tomatoes, jalapenos, cheese, and avocados. Crunchy tortilla chips add a delicious texture to the taco!
These Austin-style migas tacos area always a hit in my house! And it's fun and easy to make breakfast tacos at home. However, you can always wrap them in foil to keep them warm, and take them to the office with you! I've done that many, many times.
If you don't live in Austin, let me just clue you in on one thing: breakfast tacos are kinda a big deal here. I love all kinds of breakfast tacos. Sometimes I get egg and chorizo, sometimes bean and cheese, sometimes bacon, avocado, egg, and cheese. But really, the best kind are migas breakfast tacos.
Migas tacos are nicely spicy and they have avocado and tomato, so they're good for you, right? I like to think so. Most of the time I'll order migas tacos from one of the many many places you can find them in Austin, but every once in awhile it's a treat to make them at home.
The recipe for homemade migas tacos makes enough for two overflowing tacos, but you can double the recipe if you've got company! I also suggest finding the freshest tortillas you can for this recipe.
Luckily here in Austin we've got places that make tortillas from scratch, but if all you can find are the national brands, that is fine too. Just don't skip the step where you lightly toast it in the pan! (Or over the stove, if you have a gas stove!)
- Eggs - The best breakfast tacos have eggs. This one is no exception.
- Roma or Campari tomato - I find the roma or campari tomatoes to be the perfect size for this. You only need half of one, unless you double the recipe!
- Jalapeno - Jalapeno adds the perfect amount of spice. Not too hot, but just slightly spicy.
- Avocado - Avocado adds a little bit of creaminess to the migas tacos.
- Flour tortillas - I love using flour tortillas, but if you are gluten-free or prefer corn tortillas, use those instead!
- Tortilla chips - One of the great things about a migas taco is the texture that crushed tortilla chips add.
- Oil or butter - When I cook the eggs in the skillet, I usually use a little oil or butter so they don't stick to the pan.
- Salt and pepper - Because every recipe needs a bit of these. Just regular salt and regular black pepper.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - I like to top mine with sharp cheddar. However, you can definitely use a pre-shredded Mexican blend of cheese, or queso blanco.
- Salsa - This is optional, but many people love to top their breakfast tacos with salsa! Or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
To make the migas breakfast tacos, first prep your ingredients so you're ready to go! I like to crack my eggs into the bowl, so they are ready.
Dice up your tomato and jalapeno.
Take your tortilla chips and crush them into small pieces in a bowl. You don't want them to be too small though, because you want them to keep that lovely, crunchy texture.
Toast your tortillas in the skillet until each side is lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
If you have a gas stove, you can also fire up a burner on low heat and lightly toast them on each side that way.
Then add the oil or butter to the pan, swirl around, and then add your eggs. As they are starting to cook, add the diced tomato and jalapeno and scramble together. When the eggs are about 30 seconds from being done, add the crushed tortilla chips and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the eggs from the pan and divide among the two tortillas. Top with diced avocado and shredded cheese. Add salsa if desired!
Love this recipe? Then check out these!
Migas Breakfast Tacos
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ roma or campari tomato diced
- ½ jalapeno deseeded and diced
- ⅓ cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado cubed
- sharp cheddar cheese for topping
- salsa if desired
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork until blended. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Take each tortilla and lightly toast both sides, about 20 seconds per side. Set aside the tortillas.
- Add the oil or butter to coat the skillet and heat for 30 seconds. Add the eggs to the skillet. As eggs are starting to cook, add the diced tomato and jalapeno. Stir as you would scrambled eggs and cook until about 30 seconds from being done.
- Add the crushed tortilla chips to the pan and stir to combine. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- On each tortilla, place half of the egg mixture. Grate some cheese over the top of each tortilla and top with avocado cubes. Add salsa if desired, and enjoy!
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.
These look amazing! My husband would love these more than life itself. Thanks for a great recipe.
Thank you! It's hard to go wrong with a breakfast taco! :)
I want that for breakfast!