The kumquat salad has a perfect balance of flavors and textures. The delicious kumquats are used both in the salad and chopped up in the shallot dressing. This is a must-make when kumquats are in season!
This kumquat salad is a delicious balance of tart, citrusy, and hearty! The kumquats add something special to a spinach salad, while the kumquat shallot vinaigrette adds a brightness that keeps you coming back for bite after bite!
There's a couple of surprise ingredients in here to make it extra special and give it a bit of an Asian kick. (Hi sesame oil!)
What are kumquats?
Kumquats have the look of an orange with the shape and size of an olive.
Unlike an orange though, the skin is sweet and the juicy flesh is sour, and so these soft-shelled crabs of the citrus world are eaten whole or sliced, sometimes seeded, but never peeled.
They grow at different times of the year in various parts of the world.
Where to find kumquats:
If you don’t live in California or Florida you can find them at a Whole Foods or it’s equivalent, but only as a hoarded handful in a small plastic container.
We've seen them recently on trees around our Texas neighborhood, and they always yield a surprising sweetness and tartness. We recently got a kumquat plant in our backyard we love them so much!
How to make the kumquat salad
First, slice up your kumquats. Remove any large seeds as needed. Then, roughly chop a portion of the kumquats to equal 1 Tablespoon. (You will use the rest of the sliced kumquats for the salad).
Mix the chopped kumquats with shallot, olive oil, sesame oil, vinegar, and ginger.
Plate the spinach and top with sliced kumquats, toasted almonds, and cilantro. Top with the kumquat dressing.
More recipes to love
Adapted from a recipe by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen.
- ⅓ cup kumquats thinly sliced and seeded
- 2 ½ tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Chop enough kumquats to measure 1 tablespoon.
- Mix chopped kumquats, vinegar, shallot, olive oil, ginger, and sesame oil in large bowl to make the kumquat dressing
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach, almonds, cilantro, and additional sliced kumquats to a plate or bowl. Add the kumquat dressing.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.