Air fryer hasselback zucchini is an easy and fun way to eat the green vegetable. It's so flavorful when brushed with olive oil and seasonings. A delicious air fryer side dish.
Have you every hasselbacked anything? What Is hasselbacking?
Well, it's basically slicing something.. but not all the way through. That way the zucchini or potato or whatever you're slicing actually stays together and forms more of an accordion shape. Kind of.
But it's a fun way to cook vegetables! I love doing it with zucchini because zucchini slices so easily and also cooks really nicely.
Brushing the hasselback zucchini with oil and seasonings before cooking also give the zucchini so much flavor!
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes
This zucchini can be customized with whatever herbs and spices you like! A few ideas.
Brush zucchini with some harissa or calabrian chili paste for a spicy flavor.
Add some fresh lemon juice to the olive oil blend for brightness.
Use smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper for smoky and spicy flavors.
What to serve with the hasselback zucchini
I love serving the hasselback zucchini as a side dish!
It pairs well with air fryer panko chicken, air fryer Mediterranean salmon, air fryer Greek chicken thighs, and air fryer blackened cod or air fryer blackened salmon.
Sometimes I will drizzle some preserved lemon vinaigrette over the top of the zucchini for a delicious, bright flavor.
- If you accidentally slice all the way through the zucchini, don't worry. Just push i back together and enjoy! The flavor will be the same.
- All air fryers cook differently. Adjust as needed!
How to make air fried hasselback zucchini
Cut the zucchini into slices about ⅛ inch thick where you cut almost to the bottom of the zucchini, but not all the way through.
You can use chopsticks to help provide a "stopping point" so you don't slice to the bottom, as shown below. (Note - If you do accidentally slice through, don't worry, just still prepare as instructed!)
In a small bowl, add olive oil, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt.
Stir to combine.
Place zucchini in the air fryer basket, with the sliced side facing up, then brush the top with the olive oil mixture.
Air fry for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F, then add more open air fryer and add more olive oil mixture. Air fry an additional 10 minutes.
Add air fried hasselback zucchini to a plate and sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top (optional).
I like to then slice mine into sections to serve, but you can also leave whole if you like.
More air fryer vegetable recipes
- Air fryer tomatoes and onions
- Air fryer smashed potatoes
- Air fryer radishes
- Air fryer mini potatoes
- Air fryer sweet potato wedges
Recipes to love
Air Fryer Hasselback Zucchini
- 2 zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- red pepper flakes optional
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Take each zucchini and cut via the hasselback method (not slicing all the way through), so zucchini is sliced but stays together.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and dried oregano in a bowl.
- Place zucchini in air fryer. Brush top of zucchini with oil mixture.
- Air fry for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F. Open the air fryer, and brush on the rest of the oil mixture. Air fry for an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Plate. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.
Leave a Reply