Oven Roasted Red Cabbage is a healthy and easy side dish. It's surprisingly delicious and is so gorgeous with its purple color. The roasted cabbage gets lightly caramelized in the oven for a slightly sweet flavor.
I've eaten a lot of cabbage in my life. Usually it's in slaws, or salads. Especially red cabbage! I just love the color.
But lately, I have a new favorite way of eating it. Roasting it in the oven!
The slight peppery flavor goes away, and the cabbage gets slightly sweet from the roasting. And it's just so easy and healthy. What is not to love?
I love making this for an unexpected side dish. It's perfect served alongside so many dishes! Chicken, fish, potatoes. All pair beautifully with roasted red cabbage.
What is red cabbage?
Red cabbage is crunchy and fresh, just like regular green cabbage. It has a slightly peppery taste when raw, and a sweeter taste when cooked and roasted in the oven. Sometimes red cabbage is called purple cabbage, because of its color.
Why roast red cabbage in the oven?
- The cabbage gets slightly sweet and roasted. It's delicious!
- It's so so easy to make.
- If you're roasting other things in the oven, add some red cabbage to a sheet pan and roast at the same time.
- It's perfect for fall and winter when you want some warm food.
- It has a great texture when roasted! Still crunchy, but not as crunchy as raw. And some of the smaller pieces get even more caramelized, adding for different flavors and textures!
- Red cabbage
- Olive oil
The wonderful thing about the roasted red cabbage is that it is so simple, you can easily customize it! Here are a few ideas.
- Squeeze a little lime juice or lemon juice over the top for a bit of brightness. You can also toss with a little apple cider vinegar
- Top with your favorite fresh herb like cilantro
- Toss with some seasoning before baking (curry powder, chili powder, cumin, lemon pepper, etc.)
- Toss with a little garlic powder or paprika for a touch of additional flavor and spice
- Add some red pepper flakes for heat
The oven roasted red cabbage is delicious with so many foods! Here's a few ideas:
- Air Fryer Chili Lime Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Honey Garlic Salmon
- Ras el Hanout Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Cutlet
How to make:
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Take your red cabbage and slice off a bit. Slice the cabbage so you have enough that will make 3 cups, diced.
Dice into 1 inch chunks, and then spread out on a cookie sheet (parchment paper optional). Don't worry if the cabbage breaks apart a little while tossing. That means some pieces may roast more than others, but that's okay! Drizzle with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Cook for 10 minutes, toss to combine, then cook for another 8-10 minutes. See those brown bits in there? They have wonderful flavor. If you want even more flavor, you can keep in the oven for an additional couple of minutes to get more delicious brown cabbage.
Oven Roasted Red Cabbage
- 3 cups red cabbage diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop the red cabbage into 1 inch pieces until you have 3 cups of diced cabbage.
- Spread the red cabbage on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and add the salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and then spread out onto the sheet.
- Cook for 10 minutes in the oven, then toss, then cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.
Leave a Reply