Roasted parmesan acorn squash slices look gorgeous and are so easy to make in the oven. This recipe makes a quick and healthy vegetarian side dish.
Have you ever had acorn squash before? It's one of my favorites, and I love when they start popping up in the stores.
What is acorn squash?
The squash sort of looks like an acorn in its shape. Typically, they have a dark green outside. And a yellow-orange inside. And these beautiful scalloped edges.
Do you have to peel acorn squash?
One of the reasons I love using acorn squash in recipes is that you don't have to peel them! The outside is edible and delicious when cooked. So it's quick and easy to make.
My favorite way to make acorn squash is to slice it up and bake it in the oven. And that's what I did here!
I tossed the acorn squash slices with some olive oil and herbs, and popped it in the oven to roast and get delicious. Then I just topped the acorn squash with some freshly grated parmesan cheese, and it was delicious!
If you have an air fryer, it's also easy to make air fryer acorn squash!
Can you save the leftovers?
You can absolutely store any leftovers in the refrigerator. A lot of times, I'll eat half of this roasted acorn squash with parmesan for one meal, and then the other half with my next meal.
How to make the recipe
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Take the acorn squash and cut in half through the stem.
Next, scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Either set aside the seeds for roasting or discard.
Place the squash face down on a cutting board and slice into ½ inch slices. Place the slices in a large bowl and add the olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
Mix the squash together with your hands, making sure that each piece gets oil and thyme rubbed on it.
Then place the squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
Remove the squash from the baking sheet and plate. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
More winter squash recipes
- Air fryer acorn squash
- Harissa roasted acorn squash
- Roasted acorn squash
- Air fryer spaghetti squash
- Air fryer butternut squash halves
- Air fryer honeynut squash
Roasted Parmesan Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Wash and dry the acorn squash. Slice the acorn squash lengthwise, through the stem.
- Place each half face down on a cutting board and cut into ½ inch slices.
- Place the acorn squash in a large bowl, then add the olive oil, thyme, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Toss the squash so that the olive oil and seasonings are well distributed.
- Place the squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Top with fresh parmesan cheese.
- Optional - Add back to the oven or broiler to melt parmesan cheese over the top of the acorn squash slices.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.