Happy weekend! It’s time to talk about what you’re going to drink. This martini is always a great option.
So you may be wondering about the name of this martini: The Dirty Fifty. Well.. let me explain.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I decided I wanted a martini. This wasn’t something I had often.. maybe once or twice in my life before. Josh started making it, and asked “gin or vodka?” I drew a blank. I didn’t know the difference! I didn’t really know what gin tasted like compared to vodka. They both looked the same to me.
He described the tastes of each, but I still didn’t know. “I guess whatever people typically order?” He responded with “How about I do half and half?”
So that’s what this martini is. Half gin, half vodka, dirty, with a splash of vermouth. I’ve shared this recipe with a few people, and have come back and told me what a winning combination it is. So it’s not just me who loves it! This is a martini for everyone!
A warning though… this is a drink that contains almost all alcohol. So know your limits. I know I can drink two over the course of a few hours and be fine. But I usually shouldn’t go for three!
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz gin
- 1 tbsp olive juice
- tiny splash of extra dry vermouth
- 2 olives
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Take the olives and skewer them on a toothpick or other cocktail skewer. Place into the martini glass.
- Measure the vodka and gin into a cocktail shaker.
- Add the olive juice. (If you aren't sure how much you like, the 1 tbsp is a good starting point, but I use 2 tbsp because I like mine dirtier).
- Add a tiny bit of vermouth to the shaker. I probably add less than a tsp worth.
- Add 3-4 ice cubes, and cover the shaker and shake it for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into the martini glass and enjoy!