This is a half gin half vodka martini that will become your go-to drink! It's an easy to make cocktail recipe that feels fancy. It's a fifty-fifty martini that's perfectly balanced.
This dirty gin and vodka martini is always a great option.
So you may be wondering about the name of this martini: Dirty fifty-fifty martini. Well.. let me explain.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I decided I wanted a martini. This wasn't something I had often.. maybe once or twice in my life before. Josh started making it, and asked "gin or vodka?" I drew a blank. I didn't know the difference! I didn't really know what gin tasted like compared to vodka. They both looked the same to me.
He described the tastes of each, but I still didn't know. "I guess whatever people typically order?" He responded with "How about I do half and half?"
So that's what this dirty martini is. Half gin, half vodka martini, dirty, with a splash of vermouth. I've shared this recipe with a few people, and have come back and told me what a winning combination it is. So it's not just me who loves it! This is a martini for everyone!
A warning though... this is a drink that contains almost all alcohol. So know your limits. I know I can drink two over the course of a few hours and be fine. But I usually shouldn't go for three martinis!
This dirty martini is easily one of my favorite cocktails and is a go-to of mine. Try it, and it may become your go-to drink as well!
Difference between a martini and dirty martini:
If you aren't sure what a dirty martini is, it's basically a martini with a splash of olive juice. That olive juice is what makes it dirty. So if you want an extra-dirty martini, you'd put more olive juice in. For me, it's all about the balance. I want olive juice, but not TOO much.
What type of olives go into a martini:
What type of olives should you use in a martini? We always use the jarred olives. They are green and have a pimento in the middle. If you love those olives, they are a tasty treat after you finish your drink. If you don't love those olives (like me), then they are just a pretty garnish while you're enjoying your martini.
Also, if you use the jarred olives, and love dirty martinis, you'll use a splash of the olive juice in your martini!
Difference between a gin martini and vodka martini:
I find that a vodka martini is a little smoother. To me, vodka doesn't have a lot of extra flavors. Josh always describes vodka martinis as seeming a little TOO alcoholic.
Gin is a spirit that can be imparted with different flavors like juniper or rosemary. So, to me, gin tends to have more personality. So the gin you choose will impart more flavor on your martinis. So it's important to choose a gin you love for martinis.
- Gin - I love a smooth, clean-tasting gin in my martinis. But try several kinds! Some gins are more juniper-forward, which can affect how your martini tastes. Find one you love and use that in your martinis.
- Vodka - Again, I love a clean vodka in this half gin half vodka martini.
- Vermouth - You'll use a white (dry) vermouth in your martini.
- Olive juice - Just get this from the jar of olives!
- Ice cubes - For shaking the cocktail!
How to make the gin and vodka martini:
To a cocktail shaker, add the gin, vodka, a splash of vermouth, a splash of olive juice, and a few ice cubes. Shake for 20-30 seconds, then pour into a martini glass. Onto a cocktail skewer, add 2 olives and add to the drink.
Love this cocktail? Try these too!
Dirty Fifty Martini
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz gin
- 1 teaspoon olive juice
- tiny splash of extra dry vermouth
- 2 olives
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Take the olives and skewer them on a toothpick or other cocktail skewer. Place into the martini glass.
- Measure the vodka and gin into a cocktail shaker.
- Add the olive juice. (If you aren't sure how much you like, the 1 teaspoon is a good starting point, but I use 2 teaspoon because I like mine dirtier).
- Add a tiny bit of vermouth to the shaker. I probably add less than a teaspoon worth.
- Add 3-4 ice cubes, and cover the shaker and shake it for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into the martini glass and enjoy!