This monkey bread is made with canned biscuits. It’s so incredibly easy to make, and is a delicious, sweet dessert (or breakfast!)
Monkey bread is kind of a weird name for a food, isn’t it? But whatever the name is, it’s a sweet, delicious food. It’s a dessert that’s like a gooey, caramel mess. It’s commonly made with canned biscuits, and that’s how I prefer to make it too! Then it only uses four ingredients. And I can get on board with that.
Apparently the name monkey bread comes from the way you can pick apart the bread, related to how monkeys eat. However, when I was little, we would make a version of this and call it caramel biscuit ring. It doesn’t matter what it’s called though. What matters is that it is delicious. The butter, cinnamon and brown sugar kind of combine to create a sticky, sugary crust when the monkey bread bakes in the bundt pan.
So now let’s talk about how to make it.
- 2 Cans of Biscuits – For this, make sure to just get plain biscuits (either homestyle or buttermilk). You don’t want to use overly buttery or flaky biscuit dough for this.
- 1 stick (half a cup) of butter – This butter will melt with the cinnamon and brown sugar to create your sticky, gooey sauce.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon adds a bit of warmth and extra flavor to the monkey bread
- Brown sugar – Here is where the sweetness and caramel flavor comes in! I use light brown sugar for this recipe.
Variations on the recipe
- Nuts – you can add chopped pecans or walnuts to this recipe for a bit of crunch and texture
- Dried fruit – Dried cherries, cranberries, or blueberries would be delicious here.
- Using cinnamon rolls – you can always use canned cinnamon rolls (or orange danish rolls) to make the monkey bread, and then drizzle on the frosting at the end.
- Fresh fruit – If you like, you can drizzle with a glaze at the end and serve with fresh fruit!
This recipe for monkey bread is so easy to make. First, you preheat your oven to 350. Then, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine your butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Stick in the microwave until butter is melted and mixture can mix together. Stir to combine the ingredients and set aside.
Open up your cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into quarters.
Stir the quartered biscuits into the brown sugar mixture, making sure each piece is coated. Pour the mixture into a greased bundt pan.
Cook for 35-40 minutes, and then remove from the oven. Let cool for 15-20 minutes, then turn upside down onto a plate or platter and serve.
Easy Monkey Bread
- Bundt Pan
- 2 cans biscuits (homestyle or buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- cooking spray (to grease pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and get out your bundt pan. Grease the bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cook in the microwave until butter is melted. Stir together to combine. Set aside.
- Take the two cans of biscuits and open. Cut each biscuit into quarters. Add the biscuits to the brown sugar mixture, making sure each piece is coated.
- Pour the biscuits into the bundt pan, making sure to distribute the pieces equally around the pan.
- Cook in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the monkey bread is nicely browned and cooked through.
- Let the monkey bread cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes, then turn upside down onto a plate or platter and serve.