Roasted Harissa Carrots are baked in the oven until they get caramelized and delicious. The harissa adds a warming spice to the carrots. These are delicious as a side dish, or served topped with some feta or yogurt.
And now carrots. I love tossing these carrots with just a bit of harissa spice and then baking to perfection in the oven. These roasted harissa carrots wind up just the right amount of spicy with a tiny touch of sweet.
- Olive oil
- Harissa powder
What is harissa?
Harissa is a hot chili paste from North Africa. In this recipe, we use the powdered spice version, though there are pastes and jarred condiments as well. It's both peppery and spicy, and also has a bit of citrus flavor.
Where can you buy harissa?
You can buy harissa at most grocery stores or online! The spice is usually easy to find at my regular grocery store, but I'm not always able to easily get the paste.
How else to use harissa:
How to make:
First, preheat your oven. Then, take your carrots and wash and dry them. Peel if desired.
Then, slice at an angle into pieces ½ inch thick.
In a large bowl, add the olive oil, harissa powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir to combine.
Add your sliced carrots and stir together so carrots are coated.
Add your carrots to a baking sheet. (Can line with parchment paper or foil for easier cleanup).
Roast the carrots for 15 minutes, then toss and roast for an additional 10 minutes. Add any herbs you'd like to the final dish.
Plate and enjoy.
Roasted Harissa Carrots
- 4 carrots
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon harissa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry your carrots. Peel if desired, then slice at an angle, into slices ½ inch thick.
- Place your olive oil, harissa, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add your carrots and toss so carrots are coated in oil and spices.
- Spread out on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Toss, then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until roasted and tender in the center.
- Remove from the oven and add any additional fresh herbs and spices you desire.
If nutrition info is shown, values are based on an online calculator and are estimates. Please verify using your own data.